There are many flashcard/vocabulary building apps in the app store, but I find many of them to be overloaded with features and too complex to navigate.
I wanted to design an app that is visually clean, simple to use, and that would have a fresh perspective on what a vocabulary building app could be.
(This is a self-directed project with the goal to create a great language learning tool, and work on my UI/UX skills along the way)
Part 1. Research and Definition
I started with writing down the list of possible features that the app can have:
- list of words
- word translations and descriptions
- pronunciation transcripts
- manual input of new entries
- upload word lists via email
- share word lists
- study mode
- quiz mode
- scheduled study sessions
- word search
- imagery associations
- color-coded words
- tag classifications
- filtering words by tag, deck number, mode, etc.
- and more!
Then I conducted user research, and outlined the users' goals:
- learning, not memorizing
- consume information efficiently, during short breaks
- mix of newly added and previously reviewed words
- being able to recall newly learnt material on the go
My goals for the app as a product designer:
- simple to use
- visually minimal
- redefine a niche app (unique idea: flash cards meets lists)
Part 2. Design